Wednesday, October 30, 2013

4 Words I Just Don't Like

Hate's a strong word. So I'm not going to say that I hate these words, but I do cringe when I see them written and/or spoken.

Everyday - specifically, in a sentence such as this: "I bring a pencil to class everyday"

You can't just combine 2 words together whenever you want. There are RULES, people! You can only combine every and day when it is being used as an adjective, such as, "Students messing up the English language is an everyday occurrence in my life."

Interesting

Really, the book was interesting? Tell me more! There are a hundred other words that are more specific than the word "interesting." To Kill a Mockingbird, for example, isn't interesting; it's a finely crafted, multi-faceted novel that exposes race relations in the United States. Twilight isn't interesting; it's a strange exploration in to the world of teenage vampire love. 50 Shades of Grey isn't interesting; it's a slightly uncomfortable, yet tantalizing view of the rarely discussed world of bondage and domination. Getting the point? The word interesting is the most non-interesting word you can choose to describe a novel...or anything, for that matter.

Awesome

The actual definition of awesome is this: "inspiring an overwhelming feeling of reverence." Isn't that such a beautiful definition? Reverence, in case you didn't know, means admiration. We categorize a lot of things as awesome, when they might just be kind of, well...neat. It's time we brought the word "awesome" back to it's roots. Let's attempt to only use this word when we truly feel awed by something. For example, I am planning on going to Ireland with my boyfriend and his family over Spring Break, I expect the landscapes of the country to be truly awesome.

Gay/Retarded

These words are synonymous when they simply mean "I didn't like it." Aren't we past 1998? Don't we realize that this is a derogatory term that should be categorized right up there with the n-word? I don't care if you are the least homophobic/most accepting person in the world. If you use the word "gay" to describe something you don't like, you are using it in a derogatory term. Get a dictionary. Or, hey, even cheaper, get a dictionary app on your phone. There are plenty of other words to choose from.




No comments:

Post a Comment