Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Original Mr. T

I got my teaching job on June 29th. Needless to say, I've been pretty obsessed with furnishing my classroom ever since. I think most teachers-in-training have all dreamed about how they are going to decorate their classrooms. I am no exception.

But now that I have a room, I'm finding myself to be overly picky with just what I slap on those classroom walls. I'll be teaching 7th and 8th grade, so the cutesy Back-to-School bulletin board crap just won't fly there. I'm not a fan of motivational "Be Yourself" or "Attitude Makes a Difference!" posters because I find them condescending. Besides, attitude might make a difference, but does a little 11x16 poster proclaiming that make a difference? To a student, it all just blurs into the walls.

So I've had my eye out for the perfect pieces. I want posters and wall art that invoke conversation, ones where students ask "What the heck is that?" or "Where is that from?" But that's more difficult than one would think. First of all, a nice poster can run anywhere from 20 to 30 bucks. A pretty penny for a teacher on a budget.

So I turned to my faithful Thrift Stores. I have relied on stores like Savers, Value Village and TurnStyle to furnish my new teacher wardrobe of skirts and cardigans (trust me, I will be blogging about my great teacher clothing duds soon!) so of course these frugal little markets were the perfect place to turn in a time of teacher poster budget crisis.

It was after work one day when my mom mentioned to me her discovery. "Value Village had a Mark Twain statue for 3 bucks. I woulda bought him for you but I wasn't sure if you'd want him."

Wasn't sure if I'd want him?

It wasn't long before my little 15 inch tall Mr. T was cradled in my arms in the checkout line at Value Village (that and a burberry pencil skirt for only 6 bucks!).

I would like to introduce you to my first classroom addition. Say hello to Mr. Mark Twain.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I may have never told you this but when I was a Junior in High School I had to write a report on the book Tom Sawyer. I waited til the day before it was due and I remember cranking out that paper during study hall as I sat in the cafateria at a lunch table next to whoever's last name was next to Blais, I think it was Peter Berg and coincidentally he just requested to be a facebook friend...my 30 reunion was held last Sat. Anyway, it was the only high school paper I got an A on and I kept it. It's out in the garage rafters somewhere.

Post a Comment